Welcome to North Salem
The Town of North Salem's history, dating back to 1731, resonates through the small town, which has an area of about 23.4 square miles and a population of about 5,200. Delancey Hall, one of the three buildings that comprise Town Hall, is on the National Register of Historic Places. North Salem has a rich farming history which even today has kept a rural quality in many areas as you see large properties with horses grazing while driving down many roads in the eastern areas of the town.
Government: The Town of North Salem is governed by elected supervisor and 4 elected Town Councilmen who pass budgets, appoint members to other town boards and committees and pass laws.
Post Offices: Within the town of North Salem there are three post office located in the hamlets of North Salem, Crotons Falls and Purdy's each with it's own zip code.
Schools: The students of North Salem primarily attend the North Salem School District with 1 high school/middle school campus and on elementary school. On the southern edge of North Salem bordering Goldens Bridge, students attend the Katonah-Lewisboro School District.
Communities and locations in North Salem:
- Croton Falls -- A hamlet in the northwest corner of the town with Metro-North station.
- Grant Corner -- A hamlet southwest of North Salem.
- North Salem -- The hamlet of North Salem in the east part of the town.
- Purdy's--A hamlet in the southwest corner of the town with Metro-North Station.
- Salem Center -- A hamlet at the east end of Titicus Reservoir.
- Peach Lake -- A lake at the north east side of North Salem extending up into Brewster, Putnam County surrounded by several lakeside communities with small cottages.
- Titicus Reservoir -- One of New York City's reservoirs in the western part of the town.
- Twin Lakes Village -- A hamlet on the south town line.
- Linda Eder, Broadway Star
- David Letterman, TV Host
- Robert Newman, Actor
- Stanley Tucci, Actor
- Jason Priestly, Actor
- Paul Newman, Actor
- Jake Plummer, NFL Player
- Bill Murray, Actor
- Alan Menken, Composer
- James Gandolfini, Actor
- Mariah Carey, Singer
- Tommy Mottola, Music Producer
- Tim Rice, Composer
- Jorge Manuel Lutega, Artist
- Dick Button,American Figure Skater/Skating Television Analyst. Olympic Gold Medalist (1948,1952)
Where is North Salem New York?
North Salem New York is located in the upper most north eastern section of Westchester County. It is bordered on the north by Brewster in Putnam County, on the east by Ridgefield Connecticut, on the south by the Town of Lewisboro and on the west by the Town of Somers. North Salem includes the hamlets of Salem Center, Twin Lakes and Peach Lake on the eastern side and Croton Falls and Purdys on the western side and where the town Metro North Station is located and is about a 75 minute train ride to Grand Central Station in New York City. Interstate 684 runs through North Salem making it very accessible for an easy commute going either north or south.